Sunday 23 December 2012

Notts County vs Leyton Orient (22/12/12)


("Notts County's NPower League One clash with Leyton Orient has been postponed on the grounds of health and safety.

Although both teams were eager to go ahead, the match officials decided that the pitch was not fit for action") - www.nottscountyfc.co.uk

After seeing the tweets from the Official Notts County Twitter page on Saturday morning, I must admit, it didn't surprise me that the Meadow Lane pitch was due for an inspection that morning. Looking outside of my bedroom window, all I could see was blistering rain, pounding and bouncing off the pavements. I thought to myself, "Theres no way the referee is going to let the game play in this! Just unplayable conditions! Madness!" I'll admit, I never bothered or even thought about the effort the groundsmen would have made to try and get the pitch playable at that point in time. I thought the weather was just going to take its toll on the pitch, and confined it to the ever growing list of other fixtures that were being cancelled across the country due to the battering rain. As I walked to work dreading the thought of endless queues and pushing trolleys in the soaking rain for five and a half hours, I just kept assuming to myself that the match with Leyton Orient would not take place, and I was deemed correct, as a customer (Who was a fellow Notts County supporter) came to my till during the afternoon and he informed me of the unfortunate news. Again, I wasn't that surprised as I was expecting that outcome, but I was still deeply disappointed. Not only because I couldn't go due to work commitments, but because of the fact that this game against Leyton Orient was the perfect opportunity to help address our home form and to start to erase the minor "blip" were under at the moment which is two defeats at home in a row. One to Brentford and the other to League Two side Rotherham which put us out of the FA Cup at the second round stage, but I wont dwell on those two results.. less said about them the better!

Anyhow, I got home, relieved to be away from the mad house that is my workplace, and as I tucked into my Pepperoni Pizza and Chips my parents ordered in for me for when I got home, I began to do some research on the Internet and look for some opinions from any associated with Notts County based on the earlier postponement. What I read on the Official Notts County website did make me open my eyes a lot more to the hard work the Ground staff, Greg Smith and Trevor Hutchison put into, to make Meadow Lane as firm and steady as it possibly can be. It also showed me, that we really need to raise the issue on under heating for Meadow Lane. Now I know that people are going to jump on me and say that were a tight budgeted club who cant afford many luxuries, but what if we actually do go up this season? What if we do reach the promised land that is the NPower Championship? We cant expect to just have the same leniency that we get now as a League One club. We need to start thinking as a collective unit about under heating, and we need to do it now, because sooner rather than later, the issue is going to be raised again. Especially around the Winter. Im not taking anything away from Greg and Trevor because those two men work their socks off to get Meadow Lane up to scratch. Their job is made even harder due to the fact that Nottingham Rugby also share Meadow Lane with Notts County Football Club as well, I'm just saying that their jobs, as well as money, which is so important nowadays in todays climate, especially in Football, can be saved a lot of unnecessary hassle by re-developing Meadow Lane and acquiring under heating. Will we ever get it? Sooner rather than later in my eyes, but only time will tell if the board decide to do this or not. If they want to improve Meadow Lane, avoid any ludicrous and "astonishing" (In the words of Chief Executive Jim Rodwell) referee decisions about why the game should be postponed, then get under heating to melt the frost, and get more grass for the pitch to help soak the rain water up quicker. It'll work.. I'm sure!

Looking at some of the Meadow Lane pictures that were taken by the Official Notts County website, I am actually surprised that the game got postponed itself. Yes, I know I sound like I'm contradicting myself but let me get straight to the point. The ball bounced when the referee dropped the ball in the middle of the pitch to test how soaked the grass was. It bounced, so therefore, the pitch is playable. The referee then called the game off due to the safety of the players. Now, I'm no doctor or physiotherapist when it comes to injuries, but seriously, I have absolutely no idea what the referee was thinking when he made that call! I mean, the players trained on the pitch whilst the referee was there! He could see them playing on the pitch and not once did it look like a player was going to take a tumble or develop an injury! Was he looking at the weather report for during the match itself? I don't know, but what I do know is that the match should not have been postponed, and that by the game being cancelled, it has cost Notts County several thousands of pounds in money (According to Chief Executive Jim Rodwell) which could have spent on funding for players in January but will now make Keith Curles budget for new players less in the January Transfer Window. Not to mention the long journey back to London for the away Leyton Orient supporters! I feel for them. All the way just to be told the game is off.. Embarrassing!

Frustrated, disappointed & confused are the words id use right now at this moment in time

Our next home game is now on New Years Day against high flying and promotion rivals Milton Keynes Dons, which, if the game is still on for (Tongue in cheek!), im sure it'll promise to be a very entertaining match up, pitting two teams who like to pass the ball around on the pitch.

But for now, i'll leave you with some interesting quotes from Manager Keith Curle and Chief Executive Jim Rodwell after the announcement of our home match against Leyton Orient being postponed from the official Notts County website

Bring on Shrewsbury away on Boxing Day!! Lets make it 22 unbeaten away!

“It’s understandable when it’s dangerous conditions or freak of nature weather conditions, but the pitch was in fantastic condition,” - Keith Curle

“I am astonished at the decision of today’s match referee to call the game off. In all my years in football I have never been more surprised at a decision, it quite simply beggars belief that a professional match official could come to this conclusion." - Jim Rodwell

No comments:

Post a Comment